These are questions to consider as you plan your class for the next academic year. Any of these questions would serve as an interesting staff development conversation.
· What are my students’ goals in coming to English class?
· How do I find out about their goals?
· How do I model goal setting in class?
· How do my students know they are making progress? What feedback do I give them? (notes, tests, stars?)
· What opportunities do I give students to assess their own learning? (checklists, logs, brief reflections on what been studied, self-testing, self-recording?)
Developing Organization Skills
· How do I help my students develop better organizational skills? Do I check their notebooks? Do I talk about where papers should be stored? Do we decide which papers are most important and where to place them?
· Do I have class systems for when students papers? (folders, bins, labels)
· Do I have a class system for returning papers to students?
Developing Strong Study Habits
· · Do I model in class how to do homework assignments?
· What systems do my students use to record homework assignments?
· What materials do my students use to study outside of class?
· What do I know about my students’ study time outside of class? How often do they study? Where? With whom?
Developing Study Skills
· Which learning and memorizing strategies do I teach in class?
· How often does the class review material? What review routines do I model in class? (recalling material, using flashcards, writing questions?)
· Do my students understand they best learn? Do they undertsnad the different ways people can learn? ( visual, kinesthetic, auditory, and/or aural learning)
· Do I model in class how to use an answer key responsibly?
· In class do students practice reading their written work aloud in order to hear for small errors or missing words?
· Do students know how to record and playback their voices on their phones? Do they use this device to practice pronunciation?
Independent Study Resources
· Do my students know about public libraries? Do they all have library cards?
· Do my students have access to the Internet (computers or smart phones)? Do they have email accounts? Do they study English materials online?
· Do I talk to students about parts of their textbook they can study on their own?
· Do I talk to students about independent learning resources at our school (a lending library? a computer lab?) Do students understand which materials are best for independent study?